Ashley and Zack- Married December 01, 2007

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Back to Tummy

April 28th was a very eventful day for Mr. Logan. Not only did he experience his very first bottle, but he also rolled over from his back onto his stomach for the first time. He is a very strong baby. When he was only four weeks old, he started randomly rolling over from his tummy onto his back, which I've been told is an exceptionally young age. Going from the back to tummy, however, uses different muscles and normally takes much longer to master. We always give Logan his required approximately 15-20 of daily tummy time, usually divided into five or so minute sessions. He likes it for a while, but then he is suddenly over it and lets us know immediately by wailing at an admirably loud volume! And he has to be in the mood for tummy time. Well, let me tell you, he is definitely NOT in the mood for it in the middle of the night. Starting on the 28th, and every night since then, he somehow keeps repeatedly rolling over onto his stomach in his sleep. Thank God it jars him awake almost immediately, because I have read so much about how babies who sleep on their tummies are at a higher risk for SIDS. It must scare him awake, but all of a sudden, we'll be awakened by his frantic screaming. Right now, he thinks of tummy time as exercise, where he always is using his muscles to keep his head up. I'll either put toys in front of him, put the portable DVD player down and pop in a Baby Einstein DVD, or even entertain him by dancing and singing like a crazy lady while he stares up at me and grins. In any event, he doesn't yet know how to relax during tummy time. So he keeps waking himself up, because his face will be smashed up against the sheet, and he'll have to use his neck and shoulder muscles to keep his head up to breath. For the first three nights, he woke me up about every 1-2 hours doing this, and sometimes every 10 minutes, and of course, the night before my first day back at work was one of them. Finally, on day number 4, he learned to turn his head either to the left or the right, so he can relax and sleep peacefully on his stomach, and he hasn't woken up for that reason since. The only problem is that I'm all worried about him sleeping on his stomach now, so I keep waking up to check on him. And almost every time, he's back on his tummy, and once again, I'll turn him back over onto his back. My books say that once a baby can turn over onto his stomach, there's nothing you can do about it, but I still can't help but worry. At least he now realizes how to turn his head so he can breathe, and I do feel confident that if he ever starts to feel suffocated, he'll be able to wail pretty quickly to let me know he's struggling. I guess this issue is something that every parent deals with at some point. Logan is such an exceptionally strong guy, that I know he'll be fine; however, as a mother, I just can't help but worry. Remember the saying, "worrying is what a mother does best?". Well, I actually understand that now! :)

On a side note, this past week he has really discovered and started playing with his feet. Also, yesterday and today he's begun to really raise his head when he's on his back, into almost like a half stomach crunch position. Zack and I feel it won't be long before he's sitting up all by himself. Finally, for the first time this evening, he took his paci out of his mouth all by himself, extended him arm out fully and looked at it for a few minutes, then slowly and quite awkwardly managed to put it back into his mouth. I was very proud of him! He is really starting to develop his eye hand coordination.

No comments:

Post a Comment